Tuesday, March 2, 2010

When Jesus came to our Church...

Good morning God,
It was a strange but telling dream last night - thank you - I think!
I will need to reflect on it further, but the essence of the dream was simple enough..

Jesus came to our Church and invited me, as its minister, to show it to him.

There was no warning, I wasn't able to prepare in advance, Jesus told me he wanted to see the Church as it is, not the Church as it might be 'presented'..
Ok, so it doesn't take much to trace the origin of the dream, previous conversations with you here God are witness to my increasing concern and heartache over the nature of Church and my calling to serve as an ordained minister within it. No doubt psychiatrists and psychologists would advise that the dream was nothing more than my subconscious trying to respond to the situation, helping me work through the questions.. But that doesn't detract from it being a gift from you - after all - who was it who designed humans with an unconscious mind?

So Jesus came to our Church and invited me, as its minister, to show it to him.. In effect,turning my question around and asking me what I think the  Raison d'ĂȘtre of the Church is - nice one God!

Jesus came to our Church and invited me, as its minister, to show it to him, as it is, as a beacon of hope, a force for change, a source of love, and a place of salvation and transformation - a voice for the voiceless and a mouthpiece for the Gospel where YOU are named without reservation and shame as the motive and purpose of all that we are and all that we do.


We spent a considerable amount of time together, and although parts of the dream have faded, the colour and feel of that time remains. I have no image of his face, but I can still feel the quality of his presence.
His visit left me with more questions than answers (what a surprise God!) but it also left me in no doubt about the root source of my unease.


Thank you God







1 comment:

  1. loved reading this Angela.

    sorry I haven't visited for along time.

    ReplyDelete